Men's basketball looks to bounce back from loss
The Xavier Musketeers' men's basketball team comes into the week with a record of 12-9. Conference games began when they played Temple on Jan. 10 and are now coming into full-swing. The team defeated the Dayton Flyers at home and then lost a close game at Richmond. However, the team hopes to carry over the winning mentality they had against Dayton in this week's matchups against
Duquesne and Fordham. Xavier will be traveling to
Pittsburgh on Saturday to play Duquesne, a team with a record of seven wins and 14 losses. A few key aspects to look at with this team is that they play much better at home than they do away, with a home record of 6-4 and an away record of 1-9. Duquesne has a very dismal conference record of 0-7, and avier will look to make sure they don't get their first conference win against the Musketeers. Senior guard Sean Johnson for Duquesne is their leading scorer averaging 13 points a game and shooting a solid 32 percent from behind the arc. Another senior, center Andre Marhold, is the leading rebounder
for Duquesne with 5.6 boards per game. Marhold averages 5.6 points per game, but he excels in his blocking ability and field goal percentage. He is shooting a solid 48 percent from the floor and has 28 blocks this year. Senior forward Travis Taylor will look to add on to his 250 points this season but will have a tough time battling down low against Marhold. The Muskies travel back to Cincinnati to play Fordham in Cintas Center where Xavier will hopefully extend their home record of 8-2 to 9-2. Fordham has an overall record of 6-16 on the year with a 2-5 conference record. The statistic to note within their record is that they are 0-11 on the road this year. When looking at this, it is clear Xavier should have the upper-hand. Junior guard out of Brooklyn New York Branden Frazier is Fordham's leading scorer and arguably their best player. Last season, he was the second leading scorer for the Rams, leading the
team in assists and three-pointers made. He scored 22 points and grabbed five rebounds against Xavier last season. This year he is the Rams' leading scorer. Frazier must be contained by the likes of guards freshman Semaj Christon and sophomore Dee Davis in this matchup in order
for the Musketeers to have a good shot at winning the game. The Musketeers will then travel to Kingston, Rhode Island and come back to play a very tough VCU team here at Cintas Center.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections