Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
From the first time I opened a Harry Potter book, I was hooked, and J. K. Rowling became one of my most favorite people. I loved every second of every minute that I had one of those books opened, and I still continue to read and reread them to this day. However, I must preface this review: this is not Harry Potter. Just because Rowling wrote this book does not mean that it has anything to do with Harry Potter. I am saying this more for my sake than yours, as I will attempt to write this review without bias.
In the first two pages of this book, a man dies of an aneurysm, which sets the entire plot into motion. This man, Barry Fairbrother, was a member of a Parish Council in the very small town of Pagford. His death left a spot open in the council, called a "Casual Vacancy" (wink wink) and an ensemble of around sixteen different characters attempt to use his spot for their own accord, mainly about whether or not an estate should stay with Pagford or be a part of
the local city of Yarvil. This book is just too weird, but I will give credit where it is due. Rowling creates many different
storylines and characters that all intertwine very well and distinctly. They are all vivid and easy to visualize, but this book deals with an overwhelming amount of information.
With different themes, such as rape, prostitution, affairs, drug abuse and suicide in a completely insane town of about 200 people, it's hard to believe that all of this started with an empty Parish Council seat. It's just too weird, and not Harry Potter. while we will try to read without bias, we all know that's impossible.Go back to what you know best, Rowling.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR