Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
From the first time I opened a Harry Potter book, I was hooked, and J. K. Rowling became one of my most favorite people. I loved every second of every minute that I had one of those books opened, and I still continue to read and reread them to this day. However, I must preface this review: this is not Harry Potter. Just because Rowling wrote this book does not mean that it has anything to do with Harry Potter. I am saying this more for my sake than yours, as I will attempt to write this review without bias.
In the first two pages of this book, a man dies of an aneurysm, which sets the entire plot into motion. This man, Barry Fairbrother, was a member of a Parish Council in the very small town of Pagford. His death left a spot open in the council, called a "Casual Vacancy" (wink wink) and an ensemble of around sixteen different characters attempt to use his spot for their own accord, mainly about whether or not an estate should stay with Pagford or be a part of
the local city of Yarvil. This book is just too weird, but I will give credit where it is due. Rowling creates many different
storylines and characters that all intertwine very well and distinctly. They are all vivid and easy to visualize, but this book deals with an overwhelming amount of information.
With different themes, such as rape, prostitution, affairs, drug abuse and suicide in a completely insane town of about 200 people, it's hard to believe that all of this started with an empty Parish Council seat. It's just too weird, and not Harry Potter. while we will try to read without bias, we all know that's impossible.Go back to what you know best, Rowling.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016