Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
From the first time I opened a Harry Potter book, I was hooked, and J. K. Rowling became one of my most favorite people. I loved every second of every minute that I had one of those books opened, and I still continue to read and reread them to this day. However, I must preface this review: this is not Harry Potter. Just because Rowling wrote this book does not mean that it has anything to do with Harry Potter. I am saying this more for my sake than yours, as I will attempt to write this review without bias.
In the first two pages of this book, a man dies of an aneurysm, which sets the entire plot into motion. This man, Barry Fairbrother, was a member of a Parish Council in the very small town of Pagford. His death left a spot open in the council, called a "Casual Vacancy" (wink wink) and an ensemble of around sixteen different characters attempt to use his spot for their own accord, mainly about whether or not an estate should stay with Pagford or be a part of
the local city of Yarvil. This book is just too weird, but I will give credit where it is due. Rowling creates many different
storylines and characters that all intertwine very well and distinctly. They are all vivid and easy to visualize, but this book deals with an overwhelming amount of information.
With different themes, such as rape, prostitution, affairs, drug abuse and suicide in a completely insane town of about 200 people, it's hard to believe that all of this started with an empty Parish Council seat. It's just too weird, and not Harry Potter. while we will try to read without bias, we all know that's impossible.Go back to what you know best, Rowling.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates