Pirates of Penzance: Music and Theater
For the first time in years, Xavier Players, Xavier performing
arts and Xavier music department are teaming up to put on a stage production. On Oct. 21-23 and Nov. 4-5,
Players and the two departments will be staging Gilbert and Sullivan's comic operetta Pirates of Penzance, a
hilarious tale of hapless pirates, dutiful and lessdutiful
daughters and blundering cops. The last time Players and the two departments worked together was on a production
of The Music Man performed in 2004. They have decided to collaborate again, bringing together the charisma and excitement of Players and the performing arts department with the instrumental flare of Xavier's Symphony Orchestra.
Pirates, a light-hearted story with a lively classical orchestration, was a natural choice for the two departments.
"Like all of our other programming, we select pieces that
are representative of each genre that students will encounter in their professional careers. Pirates of Penzance is an important show in the history of musical theater. It is the type of show that singers will be exposed to if they continue their art beyond their college days," music department chair Tom Merrill said. Not only is Pirates a good representation of what aspiring music professionals should expect to encounter in their future, but it's also a fun story that any audience can enjoy. The operetta follows Frederic, a young man who is about to finish his time as a pirate apprentice, and the mishaps that befall him as he tries to leave his crew and win the love of the major general's daughter. All sorts of ridiculous dialogue and campy melodrama occur— cutting edge comedy for the late
19th century and still hilarious today. "It's sort of like Pirates of the Caribbean, but the pirates are horrible at what they
do," J.J. Long, who is playing Frederic in the production, said. There is a lot of excitement for Pirates amongst both
the directors and the cast. "I love the music! It is witty and very melodious. I love that we have such a fine cast of beautiful voices," Merrill said. Long is also thrilled about the
show, "It has gorgeous music and hilarious writing, and we have a good cast with great people." Should you check out this whimsical, endearing musical adventure? Long seems to think so. "It's going to be a show to see."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections