Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
The psychedelic rock trio Unknown Mortal Orchestra returns with their second album, simply titled II. The band takes everything that was exciting about their debut album and makes it better, producing an album that exceeds their spectacular debut. One of the most noticeable improvements is the vocals. Ruban Nielson still handles the vocal duties, but his voice is less distorted. This lends a more intimate feel to the songs, closing some of the distance between the band and the listener that was prevalent on the first album. His voice is really soulful, adding a nice texture to the music. The lead single "Swim and Sleep (Like a Shark)" is a perfect example of the band's more refined sound. Ruban's voice sounds sweet and melodic, layered on top of some soothing guitar work.
Although the vocals have been cleared up a little, the production is still rather lo-fi (that is, less clear). The guitars manage to sound both grainy and melodic. The one issue with the production is that the bass is usually rather quiet and sometimes barely discernible. And although the word "orchestra" is in their name, the songs are generally not too expansive. It is usually just guitar, bass and drums.
However, they manage not to sound too bare by adding some reverb to the guitar and usually adding a rhythm guitar part which creates texture. It's tough to define just that Unknown Mortal Orchestra is. Their music is simultaneously new and retro, poppy and inaccessible.
They are a band that demands to be actively listened to instead of relegated to the background. Listeners who take the time with II will find a rewarding album for a band that is surely on the rise.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids