Xavier men's basketball defeats IPFW
The Musketeers start off their season 2-0 with victories at home over IPFW and Morgan State
The Xavier men's basketball team recorded its second regular season win last night, starting out the season strong at 2-0.
The Musketeers defeated the Indiana University-Purdue University Fort-Wayne Mastodons 86-63, in contrast to their 76-66 win over IPFW last season in overtime.
The Musketeers were joined on the court by senior point guard Tu Holloway for the first time in the regular season due to a one-game suspension for a secondary NCAA violation.
The senior started his season strong, scoring 24 points for the Musketeers, the leading scorer for Xavier.
However, it is clear that this Musketeer's role on the court is changing, and he is well aware.
For a player that played 40 minutes a game in nearly every match-up last season, Holloway played for only 34 minutes against the Mastodons, and not all of those minutes were played as a point guard.
Holloway found himself playing the two-guard multiple times throughout the game. He stepped aside as freshman Dee Davis took point.
With six assists, Holloway is finding that Xavier's biggest change this season will be the increase in players who can be relied upon to score on a frequent basis.
Those six assists were far from unnoticed.
Junior shooting guard Mark Lyons followed closely behind his backcourt mate with 21 points and five assists.
For the second game in a row, one of those assists went to freshman Dezmine Wells for a dunk that sent the crowd into a frenzy.
The freshman did not disappoint after his collegiate debut, scoring 16 points and recording seven boards.
Though he is a new addition to the team, he is quickly becoming a fan favorite.
While the fans are enjoying the show, head coach Chris Mack was unhappy with the flashy tactics of the dynamic duo. "Make the simple play. Sometimes our guys play to score. We've gotta get them to make the right play, the smart play. They tend to do that for the most part," Mack said.
Regardless of Mack's desire for simpler plays, it is clear the Musketeer's power was coming from their backcourt as Wells, Lyons and Holloway alone scored 61 of Xavier's 86 points. The Musketeers were missing the effects of senior center Kenny Frease. Frease scored six points but contributed four of the team's 16 turnovers.
The 7-footer also tallied four rebounds, all defensive.
The Musketeers will take on the Miami (OH) RedHawks on Friday at 7 p.m., marking the third game of Xavier's four-game homestand.
The RedHawks are currently 1-0 after a 72-67 overtime victory over the Dayton Flyers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists