Xavier women's basketball struggles in Atlantic 10 conference play
The Xavier women's basketball team non-conference struggles have continued to plague them early in the Atlantic 10 season. The Musketeers dropped two more road games this week, which lowers their record to 3-13 and 0-3 in A-10 play.
Xavier traveled to Pittsburgh, Penn. on Jan. 11 to face Duquesne University, but lost to the Dukes 68-49. The Musketeers concluded their Pennsylvania road trip with a 63-51 defeat in Philadelphia against La Salle University. However, Xavier played Duquesne to a much closer game than the score indicated despite their losses. The Musketeers were trailing at halftime but used an 8-0 run to take the lead early in the second half. The game was back and forth until 10 minutes remained when the Dukes went on a 19-1 run to take control.
The Musketeers shot well from the field (45 percent for the game) but their demise again was turnovers. Xavier committed 27 turnovers in the game which led to 29 points off turnovers for Duquesne, compared to Xavier's eight points off turnovers. Junior forward Jessica Pachko secured another double-double, pulling down 11 rebounds to go with 12 points. Xavier's struggles continued on Saturday when the Musketeers outplayed La Salle in many facets of the game but came up short on the scoreboard. Xavier outrebounded La Salle 41-30, shot better from the field than the Explorers, and outscored La Salle 34-16 in the paint.
Xavier knotted things up at 44 with 10 minutes remaining in the game but was unable to take the lead. The Musketeers had no answer for the Explorers' Brittany Wilson, who poured in 28 points. Pachko nearly posted another double-double, along with senior forward Sabrina Johnson. Johnson finished the game with 11 points and seven rebounds while Pachko notched a career high in scoring with 16 points in addition to her nine boards.
The Musketeers are still searching for their first road win on the season. Up next for Xavier is a home game against Saint Joseph's on Saturday at Cintas Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards