Reynolds and Davis ineligable for the 2012-2013 season
Following the recent news that freshmen Myles Davis and Jalen Reynolds are academically ineligible, the Xavier men's basketball
roster is getting thinner by the day. Since last season's Sweet 16 run, the Musketeers have lost eight players: Tu Holloway, Kenny Frease and Andre Walker to graduation; Griffin McKenzie and Mark Lyons to transfers; Dez Wells to expulsion and now Davis and Reynolds to academic issues. The Musketeers are left with eight remaining scholarship players for the 2012-2013 season.
Davis and Reynolds were both a part of the Musketeers' 2012 recruiting
class, which was ranked as high as 14th by ESPN. Instead of suiting up for Xavier this season,
both freshmen must pay their own way this year at Xavier before becoming eligible next season. Neither player can practice with the team this year, per NCAA rules.
Once Davis and Reynolds obtain
the necessary qualifications to play, they will be reinstated and put back on scholarship for the 2013-2014 season.
Davis was ruled ineligible once the NCAA invalidated four of the classes he took in his senior year of high school. Though Davis was notified last winter that the courses would not count towards his eligibility, it was too late for him to change courses.
One of Davis' high school teammates, Sam Cassell Jr., was also ruled ineligible for this upcoming
season by the NCAA, primarily for the same reasons as Davis.
Both Reynolds and Davis appealed
the NCAA's decision, but the rulings were upheld.
Head coach Chris Mack will be busy meshing together a team that returns only one player with more than four points per game last season (Travis Taylor). This year's Musketeer team will look far different
than previous years, as evidenced
by the roster overhaul that has taken place since Xavier's last game in March.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge