Midpoint Music Festival preview
For the musically inclined Cincinnatian, this past summer
was one filled with excitement and anticipation. The Bunbury Music Festival made its debut on the shores of the Ohio River in July with thousands of music fans flocking to Sawyer Point to watch bands like Weezer, Jane's Addiction
and Death Cab For Cutie over the three-day weekend. But what if I told you that Bunbury isn't the only music festival in Cincinnati? The Midpoint Music Festival has been drawing indie and alternative bands to Cincinnati since its founding in 2002. Last year, over 20,000 people saw bands like Kaki King, Toro y Moi, The Joy Formidable and over 100 smaller regional and local acts play the 18 stages spread out round
downtown and Over-The-Rhine (OTR). The 11th installment of Midpoint Music Festival is happening in downtown Cincinnati Sept. 27-29 and this year they've pulled out
all the stops. Headliners this year include Andrew Bird and Grizzly Bear. Other highlights including Best Coast, Dirty Projectors, The Walkmen and the original lineup of Dinosaur Jr. Midpoint have garnered a reputation of finding
the next big acts in indie music and you can be sure that this year will be no different. Over 180 bands are scheduled
to perform and the promoters are still adding events to the already packed bill. The famed Third Man Rolling Record Store (owned by The White Stripes frontman Jack White) is making an appearance at the festival and last week the festival announced the addition of a film component at the School for Creative and Performing Arts. Tickets are still on sale at www. mpmf.com. A three day all access pass is $69, but you can also buy single day Washington Park tickets for $25 and $30 respectively for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Prices for the single day tickets increase $2 on the day of the show. Many of the venues are 21 and older, but the Washington Park, 4EG Stage, Cincinnati Club and
Contemporary Arts Center acts are all ages. Wondering whom to see? Here's a preview of two headliners who
will be playing at the newly renovated Washington Park in OTR: Andrew Bird Hailing from Chicago, Ill., the extremely talented multi-instrumentalist makes a headlining stop
at Midpoint while touring for the release of his newest album Break It Yourself. Often playing as a one man band, Bird abandoned the solo act in favor of a full backing band this year. But believe me, he sacrifices nothing with the new
additions. I'm looking forward to hearing his signature whistling echo through Washington Park as the sun sets over the historic buildings in OTR. See it for yourself at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday in Washington Park. Grizzly Bear
Another indie band based in Brooklyn, N.Y., Grizzly Bear has
gained an enormous following with their catchy harmonies and poppy beats. You may have even heard their song "Two Weeks" in a recent Volkswagen commercial. Their new album Shields was released this week and you can hear
them live at 8:30 p.m. on Friday at Washington Park.
If you decide to head down to the festival, don't be afraid to
check out the local bands playing in bars or the smaller stages.Cincinnati has a thriving music scene of its own and you never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus