Midpoint Music Festival preview
For the musically inclined Cincinnatian, this past summer
was one filled with excitement and anticipation. The Bunbury Music Festival made its debut on the shores of the Ohio River in July with thousands of music fans flocking to Sawyer Point to watch bands like Weezer, Jane's Addiction
and Death Cab For Cutie over the three-day weekend. But what if I told you that Bunbury isn't the only music festival in Cincinnati? The Midpoint Music Festival has been drawing indie and alternative bands to Cincinnati since its founding in 2002. Last year, over 20,000 people saw bands like Kaki King, Toro y Moi, The Joy Formidable and over 100 smaller regional and local acts play the 18 stages spread out round
downtown and Over-The-Rhine (OTR). The 11th installment of Midpoint Music Festival is happening in downtown Cincinnati Sept. 27-29 and this year they've pulled out
all the stops. Headliners this year include Andrew Bird and Grizzly Bear. Other highlights including Best Coast, Dirty Projectors, The Walkmen and the original lineup of Dinosaur Jr. Midpoint have garnered a reputation of finding
the next big acts in indie music and you can be sure that this year will be no different. Over 180 bands are scheduled
to perform and the promoters are still adding events to the already packed bill. The famed Third Man Rolling Record Store (owned by The White Stripes frontman Jack White) is making an appearance at the festival and last week the festival announced the addition of a film component at the School for Creative and Performing Arts. Tickets are still on sale at www. mpmf.com. A three day all access pass is $69, but you can also buy single day Washington Park tickets for $25 and $30 respectively for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Prices for the single day tickets increase $2 on the day of the show. Many of the venues are 21 and older, but the Washington Park, 4EG Stage, Cincinnati Club and
Contemporary Arts Center acts are all ages. Wondering whom to see? Here's a preview of two headliners who
will be playing at the newly renovated Washington Park in OTR: Andrew Bird Hailing from Chicago, Ill., the extremely talented multi-instrumentalist makes a headlining stop
at Midpoint while touring for the release of his newest album Break It Yourself. Often playing as a one man band, Bird abandoned the solo act in favor of a full backing band this year. But believe me, he sacrifices nothing with the new
additions. I'm looking forward to hearing his signature whistling echo through Washington Park as the sun sets over the historic buildings in OTR. See it for yourself at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday in Washington Park. Grizzly Bear
Another indie band based in Brooklyn, N.Y., Grizzly Bear has
gained an enormous following with their catchy harmonies and poppy beats. You may have even heard their song "Two Weeks" in a recent Volkswagen commercial. Their new album Shields was released this week and you can hear
them live at 8:30 p.m. on Friday at Washington Park.
If you decide to head down to the festival, don't be afraid to
check out the local bands playing in bars or the smaller stages.Cincinnati has a thriving music scene of its own and you never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities