Sports Opinion: The art of fandom
Fans. Anyone who has ever attended a college sporting event is likely to tell you that a team's fans play a huge role in what happens on the court. Most college students are likely to tell you that some of their best college experiences involve collegiate athletics.
From standing in line for tickets to high-fiving players after a game, students are involved in a game from start to finish, and let me tell you, the effect is astounding.
That being said, there's a few basic rules of fandom that should be embraced, particularly at the end of a season.
For most of my life, I've been hearing the mantra "basketball happens in the last two minutes" from my father, and he's right.
That brings me to my first rule: never leave a game early. This rule applies even more than usual this season, where absolutely anything can happen and every game is important. If you miss Dez's SportsCenter dunk or Tu's buzzer-beater to win a game, you will hate yourself tomorrow.
Another key rule at this point in the season is pretty simple: support your team. As a fan, you cannot make Kenny make a lay-up or keep Jeff from turning over the ball, but you can show up and cheer for your team.
Let the players know you are behind them, win or lose. If you pass them in the hall, tell them good game, don't avert your eyes and run the other direction.
These players are your peers, treat them as such. How would you feel if everyone stared at you like you were an exhibit in an art museum? Players are people. Tall people, yes, but people.
Xavier prides itself on being one of the toughest places to play, so act like it. Show up early, cheer as loud as you can, throw your paper in the air and fight like hell for a Skyline parachute. When your team is doing well, cheer for them. When your team is struggling, cheer even louder.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”