Sports Opinion: the student section monster
ESPN's 24 hour Tip-Off marathon brought more than basketball to Cintas Center on Tuesday. It brought empty seats to classrooms and filled seats in our student section.
With a relatively short line getting into Cintas Center, there were plenty of rumors about saving seats for those still in class.
A 4 p.m. tipoff prompted rushed labs, skipped classes and late arrivals, but in the end it was all worth it.
The Xavier men's basketball team was welcomed to the court by a sea of blue glow sticks. Cintas Center really lit up during the national anthem and during our player introductions.
Energy from our student section was vibrant from the beginning.
Section 215 was filled with Butler fans who often tried to overpower the noise from Xavier students roaring directly below them, but ultimately, they failed.
Senior Jeff Robinson ignited the crowd early in the first half with a four-point play. It is inevitable that he is going to be loved more as the season goes on. His dominant performance was appreciated by Xavier students and we look forward to more of those performances.
While our student section remained loud and standing in Xavier's 62-47 victory over Butler, we must form as one student section for future games.
Yes, we were loud, but at times, chants were done by one section but not the other. Let's change that so that there is no way opposing fans will even get a chance to be heard.
As usual, Brad Redford's three-pointers got the crowd going, but it was the all-around performances that kept our crowd loud. Senior Travis Taylor got the standing ovation he deserved by hitting his 1,000-point milestone.
Sophomore Dee Davis has made a statement in his first two games and got the fans aweing at his "ankle-breaking" drives to the basket.
It is great to finally see a group of men that gets equal support offensively and defensively.
ESPN's camera crew brought our student section into the game and our fellow students got air time so that they can tell their mom and dad that they were on T.V.
It's only two games into the season and we are 2-0, but regardless of which camera crew enters our threshold, we need to unite as one and stand behind our Musketeers.
Whoever we play, our Xavier men's basketball team deserves a student section ready to come out and stay noisy throughout the game.
The final buzzer sounded with cheers and applause coming from every corner of Cintas Center.
As players came to greet their excited fans, it was apparent that they were excited to share that win with us.
Though students likely headed to Gallagher, the CLC or their night class after the game, this win over Butler will unleash a monster that will be known as our student section.
Those that are panicking about their skipped class or the lack of effort on their chemistry lab, I urge you to admit that it was all worth it.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”