Men's soccer nets third straight tournament bid
The Xavier men's soccer team fell short this past weekend at the Atlantic 10 Championships, losing 1-0 to Saint Louis University in the semifinals. The Musketeers were looking
for their third straight A-10 Championship title but could
not defeat the second-seeded Billikens. The men's team advanced to the semifinals via a penalty shootout victory over the University of Dayton on Thursday night following
a 1-1 draw. The Musketeers now stand with a 13-2-5 record
in addition to a 6-1-2 mark in the A-10. In their opening game of the tournament, Xavier and Dayton played to a 1-1 tie despite playing additional minutes. Junior Matt Walker netted the Musketeers' lone goal in the 56th minute to tie
the game up. Following the overtime, the match moved to penalty kicks, where Xavier edged out Dayton 3-2.
Senior goalkeeper Justin Marshall stopped two shots during the shootout while seniors James Spencer and James Queree and junior Nick Hagglund scored on their attempts. The win marked the third shootout victory for the Musketeers in the past three seasons. "It took us going down 1-0 to realize it's postseason time," head coach Andy Fleming said. "The theme of today was to be able to play another day." Xavier returned to action on Friday against a team they had beaten previously in the season. The Musketeers played the Billikens to an even game until
the 82nd minute when Saint Louis went ahead via a late second-half goal. The team put only three shots on goal during the contest compared to the five for Saint Louis.
The loss marks only the second defeat of the season for Xavier, who set a program record for victories. Xavier will take on the University of Kentucky at 7 p.m. Thursday in Lexington, Ky. with the hopes of securing the first tournament win in program history.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities