Department of Music and Theater created at Xavier
In a memo sent out this summer, it was announced that the
performing arts unit at Xavier University would combine with
the music department to form the Department of Music and
Theater. Dr. Tom Merrill, chair associate professor of music, along with Dean Janice Walker and Provost Dr. Scott Chadwick, determined a theater major should be added to the university's curriculum. Therefore, the theater minor, which was originally part of the classics department, is now part of the new Department of Music and Theater as a major. "Since Performing Arts was a part of Student Life, and not an academic program, the best way to start the new degree was to move the theatre staff and facilities into an academic program,"
Merrill said in an email. "[This] is also why Dave Zlatic [technical director of music and theater] is becoming a faculty
member, and Stephen Skiles [assistant professor and director of theater studies] has been hired as a tenure-track professor of theater. There have not been fulltime, tenure-track faculty involved in the theater program until this change."
Xavier Players will remain part of Student Life and continue to be student run. There will be two theater degrees in addition to the music degrees still being offered. The theater degrees include a Bachelor of Arts in performance and a Bachelor of Science in theater education. It is hoped they will be official in the fall of 2015. The music degrees remain the same as previous years: a Bachelor of Arts in performance and a
Bachelor of Science in music education.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT