Forty days and counting, Xavier heating up politically
Various Xavier clubs active in their attempts to engage and educate the local electorate
With a mere 40 days left until Election Day, the political
temperature at Xavier University is rising. Political Science Club, the Center for the Study of the American Dream, College
Democrats and College Republicans are active as ever,
attempting to engage and educate the local electorate on
and off campus. Political Science Club, under the leadership of seniors Chelsea Rodstrom and Kailyn McGowan, are planning viewing parties for the large presidential debates, as well as one for Election Day. "We would like to make these public events and have some kind of analysis after,"Rodstrom said. Additionally, the Political Science Club hopes to collaborate with other groups around campus to guarantee
transportation to voting locations on Nov. 6. The Center for the Study of the American Dream's Politics & Policy Fellows
hope to engage Xavier further as well. Working in different specialized committees, such as the Voter Education Committee and the Speaker & Film Series Committee. The Fellows are planning events and inviting local politicians, policy experts and Xavier faculty to comment on the political process.
Opposing one another, the College Democrats and College Republicans have been highly active this semester.
College Democrats have been present on campus for
the past few weeks, posting a voter registration table in the
Gallagher Student Center every weekday. According to their president, senior Peter Shipley, they will continue to do this
until the last day of voter registration, Nov. 9. Adjacent to registration, they have a table with information on President Obamawhich informs students of his accomplishments during his first term as well as his plans, should he be reelected.
According to Shipley, they will be moving their efforts off campus as well. "We will be starting weekly canvassing and phone banking in the next week or so," Shipley said. "We plan on having multiple events in the next 40 days or so until the election: everything from Baracktoberfest [a debate watch party] to discussion events." This Thursday in the Gallagher Student Center Clock Tower Lounge, College Democrats will be hosting a discussion event entitled, "Leading with Values: The Catholic Case for President Obama".
"Also, we will be in contact with the Obama campaign regarding events both on campus and over at UC in the next month," Shipley said. "Needless to say, we are going to be busy th e next 40 days." On the other side of the aisle, College Republicans have focused their efforts primarily off campus.
"This year, College Republicans has been focusing
most of its campaign efforts on phone banking and walking door to door with the Romney victory center in Kenwood," senior College Republicans member Meghan Savercool said.
According to Savercool, College Republicans have call nights on Thursdays. During their first call night College Republicans made over 1,800 calls. Their efforts are not only specific to the presidential election as they are promoting congressional candidates as well. "The Kenwood victory center
has been very impressed by the work of Xavier's College
Republicans," Savercool said. "I'm sure we will only be increasing our involvement there in the next six weeks." An event proposed by a number of the aforementioned groups is a mock debate, ideally staging College Democrats against College Republicans. However, no significant planning has begun.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
- How Will You Remember the Most Important Moments of Your...
- Listos para la aventura con Elena de Avalor
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS