Xavier tennis continues to excel
The Xavier men's and women's tennis teams left the cold and snow of Cincinnati this past weekend and returned home with three victories in as many matches.
The men's team defeated Eastern Kentucky University (EKU) 7-0 on Friday before having their Saturday match postponed due to inclement weather. The women's team bested the University of Dayton 7-0 on Sunday and defeated Miami (OH) University 4-3 on Monday. The three victories push both the men's and women's records to 4-1 on the spring season.
In defeating the EKU Colonels this weekend, the men's team increased their winning streak to four matches. The Musketeers secured the doubles point early in the day and then proceeded to win all six of the singles matches.
Five of those single match victories came via straight sets, with junior Mesa Mei continuing his unbeaten streak in the spring season to five matches.
Fellow junior Jimmy Roebker secured his fourth win in the No. 1 singles match while Zach Mueck, who was the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week last week, notched a victory in the No. 3 singles match. The Musketeers were set to return to action on Saturday against Morehead State University, but the match was postponed to a later date.
Head coach Eric Toth saw room for improvement in the Musketeer victory, though he noted that better execution will come with more chances. "I felt we competed pretty well, especially when sets got close on several courts," Toth said.
The women's team opened up Atlantic 10 conference play with their victory over the Flyers. In a fashion similar to the men's basketball team, this victory marked the 12th consecutive win for the Musketeers over the Flyers in women's tennis. Xavier only surrendered six sets en route to a sweep of the doubles matches. In the singles matches, the women's team secured six consecutive straight-set victories. Senior Katie Pleiman was tested in the No. 1 singles match but came out victorious.
The Musketeers returned to the court on Monday with a defeat of the RedHawks in Hamilton, Ohio.
Xavier secured the doubles point to begin the day, which proved to be decisive in the match. Pleiman, freshman Alex Brinker, and junior Andrea Wolf notched the three singles victories for the Musketeers in the No.1, No. 2 and No. 5 matches respectively. The trio of Xavier players each improved their winning streaks to three matches.
"This was an outstanding win for our girls," Toth said. "This win will give this group confidence as we encounter more of these types of matches."
The men's team hosts Western Kentucky University and Northern Kentucky University this Saturday at the Western Hills Tennis Club. The women's team welcomes Morehead State on Friday night before crossing the state line to face off with Indiana University on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program