Club Profile: Equestrian Team
The Xavier University Equestrian Team (XUET) is one
of the fastest growing competitive teams at Xavier.
Since 2009, the team has increased its number of members
from three to 16 and its members remain intent on attracting more numbers. They compete against 10 other schools in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association in five horse shows a year. There is also post-season competition.
Twice a week, XUET practices at Honey Tree Stables in Oxford, Ohio, which provides 160 acres of land. This is the team's first year using the facility. "We love our new home,"
XUET president Lauren Heft said. "It's hard to get us out of the barn and back on campus most of the time." The team has a number of goals for this semester. For instance,
they want to compete at regionals. They are close to their goal - the top two teams in the area compete in regionals. XUET is currently ranked third. There are four individuals on
the team qualified to partake in regionals, and one more competition left in order to qualify. Keeping the costs of being part of the club reasonable is always important to the members. Because of this, another main goal is to increase fundraising. "In the past we have [also] struggled with getting information about the team to members on campus," Heft said. "We are working to inform the student
body of our team, and how it is accepting and welcome to all." There are a number of diverse riding levels for members to participate in, ranging from beginner classes to more advanced jumping classes. Even though members compete regularly and ride weekly, they are looking towards starting a new club. This new club would allow members to go out to the barn once a month and participate
in activities such as grooming a horse, trail rides and other ways to spend time around the horses. On Feb. 21, the team is having a Currito fundraiser. Flyers will be in the
dorms, GSC and other various spots on campus. Those hoping to support XUET are encouraged to pick up a flyer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE NEWS
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses