Club Profile: Equestrian Team
The Xavier University Equestrian Team (XUET) is one
of the fastest growing competitive teams at Xavier.
Since 2009, the team has increased its number of members
from three to 16 and its members remain intent on attracting more numbers. They compete against 10 other schools in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association in five horse shows a year. There is also post-season competition.
Twice a week, XUET practices at Honey Tree Stables in Oxford, Ohio, which provides 160 acres of land. This is the team's first year using the facility. "We love our new home,"
XUET president Lauren Heft said. "It's hard to get us out of the barn and back on campus most of the time." The team has a number of goals for this semester. For instance,
they want to compete at regionals. They are close to their goal - the top two teams in the area compete in regionals. XUET is currently ranked third. There are four individuals on
the team qualified to partake in regionals, and one more competition left in order to qualify. Keeping the costs of being part of the club reasonable is always important to the members. Because of this, another main goal is to increase fundraising. "In the past we have [also] struggled with getting information about the team to members on campus," Heft said. "We are working to inform the student
body of our team, and how it is accepting and welcome to all." There are a number of diverse riding levels for members to participate in, ranging from beginner classes to more advanced jumping classes. Even though members compete regularly and ride weekly, they are looking towards starting a new club. This new club would allow members to go out to the barn once a month and participate
in activities such as grooming a horse, trail rides and other ways to spend time around the horses. On Feb. 21, the team is having a Currito fundraiser. Flyers will be in the
dorms, GSC and other various spots on campus. Those hoping to support XUET are encouraged to pick up a flyer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities