XU Women's Center hosts mixer for childcare initiative
This Tuesday, the Women's Center threw a "Babysitting
Mixer" at their base of operations in order to promote a Child Care Initiative. This initiative will allow Xavier students, faculty and staff to access a pool of students who are able to watch children during the day or during emergencies.
There are 22 students so far in the babysitting pool, and Tamika Odum, director of the Women's Center, hopes for more students to sign up. The mixer, which involved
food and refreshments, was thrown so that Xavier students, faculty and staff could meet and acquaint themselves with potential babysitters. Tamika Odum is very excited for this program to kickoff. "As a former student parent myself, it was a real challenge to find affordable, convenient childcare," Odum said. "I would love to put a program into effect that eliminates some of the obstacles
of graduating as a student - this is part of the Jesuit Identity." All of the babysitters have filled out applications. The Women's Center is now providing them with basic training, such as CPR and learning age-appropriate activities to do with children. Students, faculty and staff are
required to sign a waiver saying that they will screen the babysitting candidates and that will deal with the issue of compensation themselves. "I want this to be more of a
cohort experience," Odum said. "This is why the referral program was created in tangent with the Student Government Association - this should be a learning experience for everybody involved." Tamika also hopes for this program to grow. "In the future, this program could grow into something much greater; it could eventually work with the Montessori and even nursing programs here at Xavier," Odum said. "The sky is the limit." If you are interesting in being a babysitter, or if you are in need of childcare, you can contact the Women's Center at XUWC@
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Bee Safe While Gardening to Protect Pollinators
- Military Seeks Better Alternatives for Treating Pain...
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!