XU Women's Center hosts mixer for childcare initiative
This Tuesday, the Women's Center threw a "Babysitting
Mixer" at their base of operations in order to promote a Child Care Initiative. This initiative will allow Xavier students, faculty and staff to access a pool of students who are able to watch children during the day or during emergencies.
There are 22 students so far in the babysitting pool, and Tamika Odum, director of the Women's Center, hopes for more students to sign up. The mixer, which involved
food and refreshments, was thrown so that Xavier students, faculty and staff could meet and acquaint themselves with potential babysitters. Tamika Odum is very excited for this program to kickoff. "As a former student parent myself, it was a real challenge to find affordable, convenient childcare," Odum said. "I would love to put a program into effect that eliminates some of the obstacles
of graduating as a student - this is part of the Jesuit Identity." All of the babysitters have filled out applications. The Women's Center is now providing them with basic training, such as CPR and learning age-appropriate activities to do with children. Students, faculty and staff are
required to sign a waiver saying that they will screen the babysitting candidates and that will deal with the issue of compensation themselves. "I want this to be more of a
cohort experience," Odum said. "This is why the referral program was created in tangent with the Student Government Association - this should be a learning experience for everybody involved." Tamika also hopes for this program to grow. "In the future, this program could grow into something much greater; it could eventually work with the Montessori and even nursing programs here at Xavier," Odum said. "The sky is the limit." If you are interesting in being a babysitter, or if you are in need of childcare, you can contact the Women's Center at XUWC@
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities