TedxXavierUniversity returns for its second annual appearance
Last year, a collaboration of Xavier undergraduate students
from diverse backgrounds succeeded in bringing the fi rst
TEDx, standing for Technology, Entertainment Design, ("x"is an independently organized TED event) to Xavier and plan on doing it again this year. This event is based on an annual
TED conference with the theme of "ideas worth spreading"
that is hosted by the nonprofit organization TED.
The idea behind TED is to allow speakers 18 minutes to talk
about an idea they personally feel is worth spreading and speeches can vary in topic from writing methods to stem cell research, from music to the economy. Once the initial TED conference was seen to be a well-attended
event, the TEDx program was started in order to create smaller conferences across the country. Last year was the fi rst time that a TEDx conference was held on Xavier's campus and it was named TEDxXavierUniversity. This conference featured speakers including Andrew Gibson, a global brand manager at Procter and Gamble; Rashmi
Assudani PhD. an associate professor of Management and
Entrepreneurship for the Williams College of Business and Todd Henry, the founder and CEO of Accidental Creative.
Last year's conference had the theme of "touching the hearts and minds of others through service, leadership and innovation." This year's board, consisting of seniors Michael Farwell and Nick Turon and juniors Sean Kallmeyer and Sam Seigle, has already started planning the event. They have established their mission as: "TEDxXavierUniversity is a student-led collaborative experience that inspires innovative
thinking, moving others to purposeful action" and have declared this year's theme to be "Igniting Passion, Inspiring Minds." The board has confirmed April 17 the date for the conference. For more information and updates on the event, visit their facebook page for TEDxXavierUniversity.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Xavier University Newswire News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra's II
- Bullet to the Head misses its target
- Casual Vacany leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled
- Songs in the Key of... "LOVE" : Players' new show to be annual event
- Respect yourself first
- The future of Xavier
- An inside look into an English professor's academic conferences and conventions
RECENT THE XAVIER UNIVERSITY NEWSWIRE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities